Washington Phillips is a man of some mystery; a gospel singer, he recorded a handful of songs between 1927 and 1929, only to slip into obscurity. Those songs, however, live on; “What Are They Doing In Heaven Today” is considered a gospel classic, as is “Take Your Burdens To The Lord” and “Lift Him Up.” Making his music even more moving is the combination of deeply spiritual lyrics and a mysterious instrument that he invented that sounds positively Heavenly. Not quite a harp, not quite a dulcimer, it is uniquely his. An obscurity among obscurities, but one that is worth hearing.
- Best Of The Recoup: Thirteen Years In Urban Bohemia: A Conversation With The Dandy Warhols’ Courtney Taylor-Taylor
- Song Of The Day: The Beach Boys, “I Just Got My Pay”
- Best Of The Recoup: Life Is Far Too Fast: A Conversation With Mike McCartney
- Song Of The Day: The Beach Boys, “Pet Sounds”
- Best Of The Recoup: Serious Fun: A Conversation With The Knack’s Berton Averre