I love Nico, because her music never hesitated to stare right into the abyss. This performance of her seminal Velvet Underground track finds her staring deeply into the abyss. Look at those eyes. They aren’t looking at you. They aren’t looking at the audience. It’s the thousand-yard stare from an amazing life full of tragedies and disappointments, of addiction and madness. The former model and stunning beauty, transformed into the wife and widow of Death himself, dark hair, wrinkles, bags under her eye, broken teeth, bad skin–I can’t begin to fathom or understand that otherness she is staring at in this performance.
- Meet Me In The Bathroom: Rebirth and Rock and Roll in New York City 2001-2011
- Gerry Monroe: Sally, Pride Of Our Alley: The Complete Chapter One Recordings (él Records)
- Robert Lamm: Time Chill: A Retrospective/Peter Cetera: The Very Best Of
- Charlie Byrd: Sixties Byrd: Charlie Byrd Plays Today’s Great Hits (él Records)
- I Want To Stop Wanting It So Much: A Conversation With Toad The Wet Sprocket’s Glen Phillips